Cosawes Park (pronounced either Coz_awz or Ko_sores) is a family owned 120 acre country estate steeped in interesting history. Purchased by the Fraser family in April 1949 and originally run as a farm smallholding until Cornwall became one of the country’s best loved holiday destinations, it was first developed as a campsite in the 1960s.
Simultaneously, the Frasers began to develop a separate more permanent residential side to the Park which has now grown into an award winning residential retirement Park-Home site, which accommodates 116 permanent homes for the retired or those approaching retirement.
All images © Fraser family
Long before the residential homes and campsite, Cosawes was home to an ancient Cornish tin mine, Wheal Magdalene, evidence for which dates back to at least 1442. A Chantry Chapel of the same name was established around the 1300s but met its demise after the dissolution about 1550. On 12th January 1808 permission was sought at Lostwithiel Quarter Sessions for the valley to become Cornwall's first gunpowder mill. With the money in place by September that year, leases were enacted and the next chapter in Cosawes history had begun.
Video featured courtesy of Dan @ The Hotpod
Video featured courtesy of Mark Thomas
We are keen custodians of many original features which hint at Cosawes' rich industrial past. Whether it's the several remaining gunpowder works buildings, the one remaining waterwheel, several mill stones incorporated into the fabric of the Park, we celebrate our past. Whilst Magdalene mine finally closed in 1930, below ground is still occasionally explored by pot holing and mine enthusiasts. We are additionally happy to organise tours of the surface for small groups or individuals on request.
Tinners, Sinners & Winners
Drop in or order your copy from our office £20 + £3.50 postage